Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Seattle Luxury Chocolate Salon Memories and Photos





While strolling around this fabulous event (Sunday, July 12th, 2009 at Bell Harbor Conference Center in Seattle), I kept on remembering this dialogue from the movie Chocolat:

"Vianne Rocher: And these are for your husband. Unrefined cacao nibs from Guatemala, to awaken the passions.

Yvette Marceau: Psshh. You've obviously never met my husband.

Vianne Rocher: Well, you've obviously never tried these."

I believe in the power of chocolate as an aphrodisiac, a mood-enhancer, a spoiler and a sublime element that unites lives and souls. I am never ashamed to recognize my own, perfect addiction.

I bless the day Venezuela was chosen as the country where I was born and raised, a country that was gifted with one of the finest cocoas in the world. I grew up a bit unaware of this, but enjoying the struggle between the urgency to devour and the willingness to let chocolate melt between my teeth, and on top of my tongue.

It was exciting to hear "yes!" from most of the participants at my "do you use cocoa from Venezuela?" question. I am so proud of our cocoa. I told that to all the wonderful "artisans of the sugary" I met that afternoon.

My "Best in Show"? Claudio Corallo "Esferas de Massa de Cacau 100% con gengibre cristalizado". Flawless tiny chocolate balls filled with a mousse-like ginger paste. A caress for the tongue. Two of my three runner-ups were a big surprise for me, as I am not that into white chocolate. These were decadent and unforgettable: Suess Chocolate's "Citrus White Chocolate Truffle" and Divine Chocolate's "White Chocolate and Strawberry Bar" (found it to be very palate friendly, good for kids and adults).

My third favorite: Forté's Salted Caramels.

Please, take a minute or two to look at the photos I made from the event. Click here to access the online gallery where they are displayed at.


(All three photos in this entry are copyright © 2005-2009 Valentina Vitols. All rights reserved.)

No comments: